Saturday, 5 March 2011

Organising Weekly Challenge #5 Part 2


Toni @ A Bowl Full of Lemons is continuing her weekly challenges for 2011 with a challenge to . . .

ORGANISE MY KITCHEN

This is my part deux this week - an update on how I did fulfilling the plans I set myself!

This week I set plans to:
1. Scrub out and recycle my broken compost caddy and replace with lidded round bowl (find a spot for this under the sink) Done
2. Cook up a storm and make lots of mess in the kitchen (beef casserole and lasagne are amongst my bulk cooking for the freezer plans) Done and also enjoyed eating some of both of them too!
3. Clean up said mess and give whole kitchen a good old scrub - finally getting to the grim job of cleaning the fronts of my top cupboards as well as scrubbing down my tiles and floor (jobs I'd been majorly putting off)
I've spot cleaned so far while hubby brushed and mopped the floor.
4. Finally tackle Day 5s under the kitchen sink task Cleaned and beautifully organised, moved the tools downstairs - I've yet to organise them but under the sink is looking fabby!
5. Finally decide which trays I'm keeping/donating from the above Tupperware post and find them a home
Still not done.
6. Finally remove from the corner (with help) the un-plumbed-in dishwasher that is taking up a ton of room
Instead we swapped the dishwasher over with the fridge and had the dishwasher plumbed in on Thursday morning - yay!
To allow for enough space to access the fridge we moved the food cupboard/sideboard into the hall (alas demolishing my launch pad). We still need to swap over the door on the fridge so it opens the other direction.
The drawers in my sideboard now also contain my gloves (which were in my launch pad drawers) but there isn't any space for the "things to be taken to other people" stuff that always collects at out door - I'm thinking we might just keep that "pile" in the guest bedroom so at least it is handy to the door - but this puts it "out of sight out of mind" - we'll have to live it a while and see how it all works.
7. Find a home for my handy-dandy cupboard pull-out organiser that I found at B&M last week (so hard to find organisers like this in N.I. but fortunately they are catching on) Found a perfect use for it - under the sink!
8. Completely clear and scrub my windowsills and replant my herbs (in the hope that they may survive a little longer) Still not done.
9. Re-jig, re-boot, re-organise Working on it

My plans for the near-future for the kitchen are to:
1. Measure up for my plate display shelf (and purchase it)
2. Purchase hooks for behind the door/back of the door for my apron collection
3. Purchase hooks for my teatowels for "I don't currently know where" in the kitchen
4. Purchase additional plant pots for my herbs (all of these purchases will be IKEA)
5. Choose a new colour scheme for the kitchen, using my fab Clarice Cliff plate collection as inspiration (did not remember the colours of these correctly and was somewhat surprised when I dug them out) - need to pick a colour for the walls, another for the ceiling and another for the door/skirting/door trim/hatch trim - this will be tricky as the colours have to work with the wee room (that you see through the hatch) and the hallway (which connects and that you can see through the glass-panelled door). There will certainly be yellow involved in the new colour scheme, the plates also favour oranges, browns and cornflower blues and along with my other vintage crockery - most colours are featured so I think I could go for anything really. Window treatments are definitely going to be trickier to choose now but I also have a great collection of vintage fabrics so maybe a little patchwork pelmet might work? We shall see?!?
6. Clear the kitchen of its additional furniture and stuff to allow for Dad and Hubby to do their tasks

For the next section of this list each job begins with have Dad and Hubby . . .
(They are my go-to guys but Dad comes first since he's more likely to actually tackle these) . . .

7. Complete the challenge of fixing my broken pull-out cabinet Dad was not keen on this challenge
8. Fix the holes in my wall (currently hidden by my sideboard) that were caused by the swift removal by a friend's sons of my fold-out table (couldn't blame the kids since my Hubs! and his friend let them climb on it)Thanks Daddy - he did this job after it only being mentioned to him in passing - arrived at the door while I was finishing up cooking dinner and had it finished before we'd cleared our plates
9. Paint kitchen and woodwork
10. Install the above mentioned hooks
11. Install the plate display shelf
12. Repaint (and fortify) my food cupboard/sideboard. Going to add some fretwork/lattice details to the panels and some new white porcelain/wood handles and paint it to match in with my beautiful French white-painted-mahogany-and-glass armoire

How have the rest of you done on your kitchen organising? Are any of you getting the itch to re-decorate also?

No comments: