I’m linking up once again to the fantastic blog The Adventure of Motherhood for another week of Feed Me Books Friday.
This week’s theme is any book you like so I’ve chosen my personal favourite:
Dear Bear by Joanna Harrison
The story is told through text, groups of illustrations (for example a series of three), some letters written in the author’s daughter’s hand and some letters written by the Bear who lives under the stairs.
Katie the main character is afraid of him and so the Bear (a.k.a. Mum & Dad) help her overcome that fear through communication with him and ever building interaction.
The language is simple, as are the illustrations (some also contributed by the author’s daughter).
It is a beautiful book and led to a dear friend of mine forever gaining the nickname of Bear, it takes a child on the gentle story from fear to friendship with her ever-supportive parents standing-by. It’s a lovely picture of family life (Mum, Dad and Katie) and includes imaginative pictures of the bear on his adventures and within his under-stairs home.
Some little snippets for you:
“ . . . when she was at home in bed, however hard she tried, she couldn’t stop thinking about the bear who lived under the stairs. She had never seen him but she knew he was there just waiting to jump out and grab her.”
“Katie knocked on the cupboard door. “Dear Bear,” she whispered, “are you all right?” There was no answer. The next morning the tray was gone. In its place was a letter.”
Beg, borrow or steal a copy and read it to your kids!
Amazon Links: UK or USA
Side note to Janna - Please don't worry about entering me in your giveaway as I live in the UK & we don't have Barnes & Noble :)
I quite agree with you Janna I've often read older books to younger kids and picture books to pre-teens, sometimes just the joy of having someone read to you is enough and an older age book can be especially enlightening if the book is to do with a favoured subject. I've found in my tutoring work that using storybooks for younger children is a wonderful way to test comprehension because they enjoy the story far better than some dry passage from an adult book.
This week’s theme is any book you like so I’ve chosen my personal favourite:
Dear Bear by Joanna Harrison
The story is told through text, groups of illustrations (for example a series of three), some letters written in the author’s daughter’s hand and some letters written by the Bear who lives under the stairs.
Katie the main character is afraid of him and so the Bear (a.k.a. Mum & Dad) help her overcome that fear through communication with him and ever building interaction.
The language is simple, as are the illustrations (some also contributed by the author’s daughter).
It is a beautiful book and led to a dear friend of mine forever gaining the nickname of Bear, it takes a child on the gentle story from fear to friendship with her ever-supportive parents standing-by. It’s a lovely picture of family life (Mum, Dad and Katie) and includes imaginative pictures of the bear on his adventures and within his under-stairs home.
Some little snippets for you:
“ . . . when she was at home in bed, however hard she tried, she couldn’t stop thinking about the bear who lived under the stairs. She had never seen him but she knew he was there just waiting to jump out and grab her.”
“Katie knocked on the cupboard door. “Dear Bear,” she whispered, “are you all right?” There was no answer. The next morning the tray was gone. In its place was a letter.”
Beg, borrow or steal a copy and read it to your kids!
Amazon Links: UK or USA
Side note to Janna - Please don't worry about entering me in your giveaway as I live in the UK & we don't have Barnes & Noble :)
I quite agree with you Janna I've often read older books to younger kids and picture books to pre-teens, sometimes just the joy of having someone read to you is enough and an older age book can be especially enlightening if the book is to do with a favoured subject. I've found in my tutoring work that using storybooks for younger children is a wonderful way to test comprehension because they enjoy the story far better than some dry passage from an adult book.

4 comments:
Sounds like a nice book!
Never heard of it, but am intrigued!
What a fun book! Thanks for sharing your favorite book! I love to add all the great books from FMBF to my library list!
The gift card is good online so I think you might be okay to win. I need to go to random.org and do that now.
Anyway, this bk interests me b/c it sound unlike other story lines and fear is always an issue with kids.
It's on my list. Love that you have personal memories of it as well.
Post a Comment