I’m linking up once again to the fantastic blog The Adventure of Motherhood for another week of Feed Me Books Friday. This week’s theme is books by Dr. Seuss
I am a big fan of the doctor because, even though he wasn’t a doctor, he doctored words like nobody’s business. I’m linking up two Seuss books, the first hopefully one that not everyone’s heard of and the second is a personal favourite (though of course one of many as I own about forty).
Sidenote: Loved your selection Janna because it’s not a book I know – it’s getting added to my Amazon basket right now!
Hooray for Diffendoofer Day! By Dr. Seuss
(with some help from Jack Prelutsky & Lane Smith)
This was a posthumous publishing using ideas that Dr. Seuss had put together but never completed into a book. The story was completed with the help of two others so it’s not strictly a Seuss book. The version I have includes the story of how the book was compiled using the old and new materials.
This story is more for older kiddos and focuses on the dreaded school inspections. It follows the happy-go-lucky town of Dinkerville and its fun teaching crazy Diffendoofer School; the headmaster of which fears the school being closed by the coming inspection. It has the dreary Flobbertown and its school of conformist teaching and boredom as the only alternative if the school should fail the inspection.
The teacher Miss Bonkers is unconcerned because:
“We’ve taught you that the earth is round,
That red and white make pink,
And something else that matters more –
We’ve taught you how to think.”
I don’t want to spoil the ending but there’s a wonderful song at the end, for readers to put to the first tune they can think up :)
Enjoy!
Amazon Links: UK or USA
I am a big fan of the doctor because, even though he wasn’t a doctor, he doctored words like nobody’s business. I’m linking up two Seuss books, the first hopefully one that not everyone’s heard of and the second is a personal favourite (though of course one of many as I own about forty).
Sidenote: Loved your selection Janna because it’s not a book I know – it’s getting added to my Amazon basket right now!
Hooray for Diffendoofer Day! By Dr. Seuss
(with some help from Jack Prelutsky & Lane Smith)
This was a posthumous publishing using ideas that Dr. Seuss had put together but never completed into a book. The story was completed with the help of two others so it’s not strictly a Seuss book. The version I have includes the story of how the book was compiled using the old and new materials.
This story is more for older kiddos and focuses on the dreaded school inspections. It follows the happy-go-lucky town of Dinkerville and its fun teaching crazy Diffendoofer School; the headmaster of which fears the school being closed by the coming inspection. It has the dreary Flobbertown and its school of conformist teaching and boredom as the only alternative if the school should fail the inspection.
The teacher Miss Bonkers is unconcerned because:
“We’ve taught you that the earth is round,
That red and white make pink,
And something else that matters more –
We’ve taught you how to think.”
I don’t want to spoil the ending but there’s a wonderful song at the end, for readers to put to the first tune they can think up :)
Enjoy!
Amazon Links: UK or USA
.
The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
Perfect for littlies but it’s a lovely read aloud to any age.
A wonderful anti-racism story of not acting superior to those who are different - in fact forgetting the differences and just getting along, a side-story being the that there is always someone who will take advantage of the oppressed.
Amazon Links: UK or USA (Both link to The Sneetches and other stories).
Perfect for littlies but it’s a lovely read aloud to any age.
A wonderful anti-racism story of not acting superior to those who are different - in fact forgetting the differences and just getting along, a side-story being the that there is always someone who will take advantage of the oppressed.
Amazon Links: UK or USA (Both link to The Sneetches and other stories).
Go check out the rest at The Adventure of Motherhood!

7 comments:
These both sound great- love the way the words roll right off your tongue. We will have to find these. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for sharing your favorite Dr. Seuss books! I'm being introduced to so many good books for my kids! I can't wait to go to the library - we may have to do an unscheduled trip later today!
Happy Feed Me Books Friday! Visiting from the RefrigeratorArtist.com blog - thanks for visiting us today and for sharing this book recommendation, it's a new one to me. Have a great weekend!
The Sneetches are an interesting bunch. The book does indeed have a good message.
We suggested the Sneetches today, too! It's a bedtime fave for us. I'd heard of Hooray for Diffendoofer Day but I haven't read it. I am a huge fan of Jack Prelutsky so I bet it's great. Thanks for reminding me that I need to check it out!
I need to reread a bio of Seuss but I know in the past it has been very enlightening to understand his books messages.
He himself faced discrimination growing up, and this is often a theme in his works and how we should treat people fairly and rightly.
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't heard of yours either!
We missed you this week at Feed Me books!
Just wanted to let you know that I won't be stating a theme except for once a month and so you are free to chose whatever each wk. Also I made it 1-5 instead of 1-3 bks.
Next week all those who link up will have a chance to win a gift certificate!
Post a Comment