Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Organising 21-day Challenge - Day 10


Today's challenge over at A Bowl Full of Lemons is the Laundry Room.

Mine's not a room so much as an enclosed corner in the barn beneath my apartment. The space comprises of a Belfast (farmhouse) sink with a breezeblock base, my washing machine beside and two shelves overhead, a short one and a long one.

Oh and I share this "storage" and sink with my handy-dandy, wouldn't-understand-organising-or-decluttering-if-you-paid-him, much beloved dad. Every time I want to handwash I have to clean the sink and I often have to move sacks of potatoes and ladders out of the way to access my machine - oh well, c'est la vie!

The lower (short) shelf is all mine as is the top of the machine and just enough space to side of the tap (faucet) for soap in a dish (for handwashing). I started by clearing the shelves of the 22! containers I'd been saving to store my homemade washing liquid - the homemade washing liquid that has never been made because I've never been able to find anywhere (in the UK) that stocks the necessary ingredients to make it. I guess in clearing these out I've decluttered the idea that I'll ever make it and I feel lighter as a result - phew!

Next I cleared off the washing machine top and shelves, scrubbed and dried them, cleaned the front of the machine and scrubbed at the sink. I put like with like and replaced everything.

I was able to neaten up my Dad's belongings on the top shelf and fitted all my spare washing liquid/white vinegar etc.on the lower shelf with the "in current use" stuff going on the top of the machine.

Along with the containers going to recycling I was able to dump two things and recycle another - 25 things leaving my domain - yay!

Hubs is heading to the charity shop this afternoon so with all the bags loaded into the car my dumping ground study suddenly has a much bigger floor space :) Bless his heart he'll also be calling back to the shop I was in yesterday to get me some more lovely little baskets for containerising in the kitchen, I think one might find a home in my laundry corner also.

Hope you're all enjoying this challenge as much as I am - not sure why I decluttter and organise so little when I enjoy it so much!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

sounds like you got lots accomplished. awesome husband you have for doing that for you