Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Organising 21-day Challenge - Day 9 (and Day 3)


Today's tackle over at A Bowl Full of Lemons is toy organisation and although I don't have any kids I do have plenty of toys and games (from my childminding work) and some should have been decluttered a long time ago.

I tackled the toys only and 5 things went into the charity bag while one other went next-door to my Mum for my nephews to play with. The games cupboard will have to be tackled someday, but that day is not this day . . . so I'm cheating . . . and having a go at one of my hobby storage areas. It wasn't too long ago that I did my crafts cupboard but my baking supplies were in serious need of a re-jig.

I rearranged, putting like with like and assessing each piece. I gathered together my rolling pins and some spatulas etc and found an old-bucket-style-plant-pot to use as a makeshift utensil holder. My silicone petits-four/cupcake/muffin cases are nicely displayed in a small hinge-seal jar. My measuring cups and funnels are actually stacked and I rooted through the cookie cutters, and dispensed with two. Then inevitably the organising spread out and I couldn't help but supplement by jumping back to Day 3's challenge to organise the "Tupperware" cabinet since I missed that one.

I love containers, boxes, baskets, pretty and practical and transparent. I also heart the labels that people embellish on. The labels on my craft boxes are not so fancy but they do their job nonetheless. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything to label today :( BUT I did find two small baskets for less than a pound and they are now organising my noodles and rice (in date order of course) and my "Tupperware" lids (thank you "bowl full of lemons"). I'll be heading out to buy two more baskets - for my sauces/seasons and possibly my cookie cutters whose container is dilapidated.

The "Tupperware" cupboard looks pretty fab now after all the stacking and sorting efforts, and though I need to get a couple of battery-powered lights to go in it, I'm done with the fantastic plastic. Its other clutter companion though is trays, from silver salvers to china bun trays to stainless steel sandwich trays - I'm going to go through that lot with the Hubs because I'm struggling to keep any of them and also to get rid of any of them - confusing, yes, very . . .

Okay went through with the Hubs and he's having the same issues as I am so I'll call on the organising genius of my mother tomorrow to solve what to keep and what to ditch.

So far so great though, 12 things to charity/others and 12 to recycling. Hubby will do a run to the charity shop for me tomorrow and I just can't wait to see all this clutter leave my house!!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

sounds like you got a lot of organizing done! way to go!

Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

Even though I can't see what you've done...it sounds like you are doing a great job! I noticed that you are slowly trying to declutter from your other tab...It's also great to see how much you cherish Proverbs 31 {me too}. Hope you have fun organizing...I always do!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
Organizing Made Fun