Bible in 90 days by God
A nice translation and an easy-to-read font. I'm most way through Exodus. Any other "fun" reads will be read alongside the Bible and Managers (below)
Managers of Their Homes by Steve & Terri Maxwell
I've read through most of this but still working my way through the beginning exercises and haven't tackled all the schooling/children chapters as I don't have any children yet - but do like to read ahead :)
Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot
I'm a good way through this - an easy read for good readers around the age of ten plus - mostly aimed at teens though. It's set in a time gone by and so has no bad language though plenty of ill-behaviour like berating the servants and teasing younger brothers and sisters
*read some more today*
Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
This was made into the movie "Christmas with the Kranks" which I haven't seen. I got this for DH for Christmas as he likes John Grisham (a Christian writer of some repute who deals mainly in legal-fiction - The Firm, Pelican Brief, Runaway Jury etc) and he's already whizzed through it (it's quite a slim volume). I plan to read it after I've finished Victoria & the Rogue.
Yes, They're All Ours by Rick Boyer
This is a very easy-read about a large family (I just finished the Duggars' book - it was excellent and far more worthy of review (post forthcoming). This work is a lot more like a diary than a book and as an easy-read it'll be getting read after Victoria & the Rogue and Skipping Christmas
A Gentle Art: A Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong & Sheryl Feldman
I've already begun reading this book and so far a nice style of story-telling but I don't agree with all her practices thus far (cutting the cord and taking baby away from Mum for a bath straightaway). Definitely agree with the her Mum and baby before hierarchy and little intervention ideals though.
I'll be setting this aside until I've finished Victoria & the Rogue, Skipping Christmas and the Boyer's book as it's a relatively easy reading style with short chapters.
School is NOT Compulsory by Education Otherwise
This book is aimed at the British market and is from quite a humanist POV but is useful from the POV of legalities to do with homeschooling in the UK but of course doesn't entirely cover N. Ireland law - boo! Interesting but I've set it aside for a while as it's quite a boring read. Think I'll pick it up again on a notion someday soon.
The next books on my list are:
Biblical:
199 Promises of God Barbour Publishing (from Christian Books)
Know your Bible by Barbour Publishing (id)
How to Pray by John Wesley (id)
A Wife after God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George - borrowed from my big sis :)
Children's/Easy Read Modern:
Storytime with the Millers by Mildred A. Martin (from Rainbow Books -use link)
Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon (gift from Cayden's Mum for Christmas)
Challenging/Fun:
Jane Austen's Emma, Pride & Prejudice, and Sense & Sensibility (Christmas gift from my little sis Roxy and I even got these vintage style ones on the links)
One of my many goals this year (post coming soon) is to generally up my reading and commit to reading at least twelve (adult-level) books across this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment