I found three wonderful ways to submit to my husband. Silly and simple but wonderful!
My husband likes to keep the top sheet out over the top of the duvet when he half makes the bed, I always used to come along behind him and "fix-it" - yes it needed straightened but fixed it did not. That's how he likes it and every day I would come along behind him and tuck that sheet in.
Did he complain - no, did he ask me to keep it out - no, did he even insist when we discussed making beds yesterday that I keep the sheet out over the top - no.
When we discussed it yesterday (along with other chores in the home) we made the rule that whosoever's out of bed last makes the bed (both sides - cos hubs has a habit :) of only doing his side) and that regardless of the order we rise I'll do the show cushions :)
As we discussed it I made a point of saying "we" make it with the sheet tucked under the duvet - cos in "our" opinion it looks better with the pretty throw over the top again. My husband said do "we" not make it with the sheet over the duvet and I said 'oh, you do, but then I always "fix" it.' Can't you just hear the arrogance and I know this is the attitude I've been glowing of as I talk often of how I'll always submit to my hubs cos that's the biblical way ya-da-ya-da.
Thank you Lord for convicting me of this as I made our bed this morning and neatly put the sheet up over the duvet the way DH likes it and nestled in all my sweet little show cushions to boot. You know what the earth didn't collapse in on itself cos the sheet was different and I have a special little glow knowing I've done something for my hubs.
Hubs said he hadn't even noticed that I always undid it and meekly (as he's a meek man) he didn't object to me undoing his work for the last four months or me telling him exactly how to make "our" bed! Because I must decrease for him to increase. I want my lovely loving meek gentle man to feel strong enough to be my leader and take me to task on the big things I have to listen when he speaks and submit to his leading on the little things. The things that seem of no consequence and that I WANT my way in and that I "KNOW" better about. I have to learn that life-long lesson I've never gotten that my way is not necessarily the best way, that I don't know everything and that I am far from infallible.
Should his way not work out my (very non-tyrant-y) hubs will be willing to compromise or re-think his way to a better way for us and my hubs is more than willing to listen to my input. Am I now ready to listen to his????
Another way I found is one the Lord's been convicting me of for a while now, to let my husband help me in the home (I work more hours than he does currently though I aspire to being at home- I work PT at home and PT in another family home) and not to criticise his help or to go after him "fixing-it." Even in the small task of hanging the laundry I would go around after my husband had hung it and rehang it because he'd done it wrong!!!!! HA!! The arrogance of me! My husband lived on his own for eight years and did all his own laundry in that time, but of course I "knew better" didn't I? So I'm aiming to not criticise his efforts this week, to let him help and to praise and thank him for his help, with divine help obviously!
The third way is to only eat one, if any, of the fun-size chocolate things in the kitchen a day. I ate one before we headed to church last night and my husband said just don't eat more than one a day I said two, he said one, I said two, he said one, I said one-and-a-half and so it continued. I argued (playfully admittedly) the point like a spoiled child (which I am of course) until after my husband held strongly I finally ceded to the one-a-day rule but I wasn't submitting, I was just giving in, so this evening I will be telling my husband joyfully that I am submitting to his leadership and only having one a day - no sneaking!!
Dear Lord
Help me and others like me as we strive to better ourselves in Your ways, as we strive to be the godly wives and daughters and mothers You would have us be. As You strive to teach us to be the queens to our kings and to teach us the many blessings of submission and the love it overflows us with. Thank You for this teaching Lord and the convictions You have given me. I pray protection for them, that You might keep me to them and far from the one would have me overstep my bounds and play lord over my husband
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment